Killer's Smoked Duck & Andouille Mumbo Gumbo
- 3 large sweet potatoes slightly baked and diced
- 48 skinned boneless duck breasts (24 large ducks)
- 4 cups flour
- 4 cups cooking oil
- 6 onions chopped
- 2 bell peppers chopped
- 4 whole pods garlic chopped
- 1 whole stalk celery chopped
- 3-4 pounds andouille sausage
- Chicken broth as needed
- 1 liter bottle of red wine to marinate, cook & drink while cooking!
- (I’ve used Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon)
- Veron’s Original Seasoning (the best low sodium base Cajun seasoning)
- Remove skin and de-bone duck breasts.
- Rub in Veron’s Original Seasoning and cracked black pepper.
- Marinate same in red wine. (Overnight is best!)
- Cover with water and boil carcasses until remaining meat falls off of bone.
- Remove carcasses from stock and cool.
- Pull any remaining meat and discard bones and add to stock.
- Smoke breasts on grill until medium rare.
- Grill andouille 15-20 minutes.
- Slice duck breasts into strips and dice andouille.
- In a large gumbo pot add stock, grilled duck strips, diced andouille and bring to a slow roll.
- Make roux cooked to very dark, almost burnt.
- Add onions, bell peppers, celery and garlic to roux and cook a while longer.
- Then add roux to gumbo pot and bring to boil then reduce to simmer.
- Add 1/2 bottle red wine and sweet potatoes after 2 hours.
- Continue to simmer another hour adding more Veron’s and chicken broth as needed to achieve desired taste and consistency.
- Serve over steamed rice with plenty of hot French bread and enjoy!
Note: This recipe feeds a small army of hungry Cajuns.