Ms. V's Barataria Shrimp and Mirliton Soup
- 4-6 poached and peeled mirlitons, cubed
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped fine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/4 tsp. Thyme
- 1/2tsp. Veron’s Garlic Seasoning
- Dash Louisiana Hot Sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp. Gravy flour
- 1 lb. chopped shrimp
- 1 cup pepper cheese
- Salt to taste
- First, in a deep pot,
- cover mirlitons with water and bring to boil.
- Reduce to medium and continue until large fork pierces through easily.
- Drain water and allow to cool.
- Then slice in half length-wise, remove seed, peel and cut into medium size cubes.
- In the meantime,
- sauté chopped onions and celery in vegetable oil until soft.
- Pour in chicken stock and bring to slow boil,
- add cubed mirliton,
- cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- add milk, cream and butter to the soup while continuing to stir to avoid sticking.
- Reduce fire and add all seasonings, shrimp, flour, and cheese.
- When all ingredients are blended, simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with French Bread.